Saturday, April 24, 2010

The peace that passeth understanding

We had a great tragedy this week in our family. My 18-year-old nephew took his own life on Sunday morning. He had great potential. He was handsome, intelligent, talented, funny, liked by everyone. He was a high school football star, excelled at all sports, was loved by his classmates and family, and was a budding artist. He made some mistakes, but was recovering from them.


 This kind of shock is impossible to comprehend or understand without the gospel. Even so, we ask: “Why, Lord?” We seek to understand why the Lord, God of all, could allow such a calamity to occur. Our doubt spreads to other questions. Why are there wars? Riots? Tsunamis? Earthquakes? Car wrecks? Train wrecks? Why do little children suffer? Why are there poor in the world? The list goes on ad infinitum. Our mortal minds cannot answer these questions satisfactorily.

I seek answers to these questions, but satisfactory answers are often hard to find, especially in light of last weekend. My inspired leaders teach me beautiful doctrine about the reasons for these things, and I understand, at least intellectually, what they tell me. But sometimes, the words of the hymn come unbidden into my mind (I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. Text: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Music: John Baptiste Calkin):
And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
Especially at times like this, it seems that hate is strong. It’s true that there is no peace on earth and hasn’t been since the time of Adam. My heart hurts. There is only one place to turn when the adversary whispers these things to my mind. On the night before his crucifixion, the Lord spoke these words to his apostles:
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)
But my heart is often troubled. I am often afraid. Darkness seems to be all around when I am confronted with the finality of a promising life ended too soon. Regarding this kind of despair, the Savior again said:
…I am the light which shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not. Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things. Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God? (Doctrine and Covenants 6:21, 23)
Light in the darkness. An endless beacon that banishes fear and confusion. Speak peace – what lovely thoughts. The still, small voice offers comfort and calm to me at any time I am willing to open my mind to its whisperings, any time I am willing to listen to communication from the Lord. The psalmist said:
I will hear what God the LORD will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints… (Psalms 85:8)
But often, I still don’t fully understand the “why” of things like the depths of despair that led my young nephew to feel so alone and hopeless. There is another scripture that gives me comfort.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)
Most often, this scripture is interpreted to mean that Paul was telling the Philippians that the Lord’s peace cannot be understood – but is available to all who seek it through prayer. Certainly this is correct. But a second interpretation also seems appropriate: The “peace that passeth understanding” is the Lord’s peace. It bypasses our mortal perspective and gives us comfort and calm even though we do not understand all things now. President Ezra Taft Benson, wrote:
Faith in Him means believing that even though we do not understand all things, He does. We, therefore, must look to Him "in every thought; doubt not, fear not." (Doctrine and Covenants 6:36.) (Come unto Christ [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983], 131)
Thus, the peace the Lord offers passes beyond our mortal understanding to overcome bewilderment, confusion, and anger. It provides comfort, rest, and calmness in spite of incomplete understanding of earthly events or trials.

As a matter of fact, trying to understand and quantify my nephew’s death may even be a mistake. Some things are best understood from the perspective of eternity, because at some future time, all will be made known to us. Perhaps it is best just accept the lord’s peace into our hearts and minds, and wait on the Lord for understanding. Elder John A. Widtsoe said:
I am thankful that I do not understand all things; that I have been given a certain field of knowledge into which I must fit this mortal life to the best of my ability; and that I know for a certainty that on the tomorrow, when this life is passed, or perhaps before it is over, new light and knowledge may be given me. (Conference Report, April 1925, Afternoon Session)
Elder Hugh B. Brown taught:
Man is ever wrestling with the problems of how to organize his reactions and find peace amidst the diverse and confusing experiences which crowd in upon the daily activities of his body, mind, and spirit. Religion is the means by which a [or woman] man may achieve tranquility of spirit without internal anguish or external disaster.
Religion gives meaning, purpose, and direction to man's insatiable quest, his instinctive curiosity, and inspires in him a desire for greater awareness of himself, of his universe, and of God. (The Abundant Life [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965], 281)
The next verse of the hymn quoted above provides help for me as we seek to find the Lord and invite his peace into our hearts:
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."
Our Savior is not named the “Prince of Peace” by Isaiah merely as a title. He names Himself literally:
I am Messiah, the King of Zion, the Rock of Heaven, which is broad as eternity; whoso cometh in at the gate and climbeth up by me shall never fall; wherefore, blessed are they of whom I have spoken, for they shall come forth with songs of everlasting joy. (Moses 7:53)
So forsaking and rejecting the adversary’s crushing and cruel whisperings, and climbing up on the rock of Heaven can help us sing songs of everlasting joy in spite of our lack of understanding and inability to grasp eternal perspective. Alma pronounces this blessing upon his people and upon us:
And now, may the peace of God rest upon you, and upon your houses and lands, and upon your flocks and herds, and all that you possess, your women and your children, according to your faith and good works, from this time forth and forever. And thus I have spoken. Amen. (Alma 7:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. While I appreciate comments on my posts, I reserve the right to delete any comment that does not promote positive discussion of the topic at hand.