Friday, December 17, 2010

Enjoy to the End

I apologize for not posting during November and the first part of December. I had surgery on my Carotid Artery to remove plaque that was causing it to be 90% blocked. Through a very fortituitous set of circumstances, the blockage was discovered and removed before it caused a major stroke. I am now blockage free all over my body. I bear testimony that the Lord is involved in our lives. I was greatly blessed to have been saved from a very possibly debilitating or life-threatening outcome.


Some might say that this was the stars coming together at the right time, or others may call it a lucky coincidence that my life was preserved. I testify that there are no coincidences in the gospel. The Savior is over all. I hope that I can discern why he kept me here and what he wants me to do with the new lease on life I have been given. I plan to "enjoy to the end."

Some Christmas Thoughts
At this time of year, we are blessed greatly. There are presents, Christmas trees, loved ones to greet and enjoy, special foods, wonderful lights and other decorations that are all meant to remind us of the great joy of our Savior’s birth, and his infinite sacrifice for us, that we might repent and return to our Father’s eternal presence.

This is a time of pleasure, a time of enjoyment, and a time of joy. A good friend of mine, when reading 2 Nephi 24:9 in which we are challenged to “endure to the end”, likes to turn the words around. He says that instead of “enduring to the end” we should “enjoy to the end.”

In fact, there is scriptural justification for his attitude. In 2 Nephi 9:14 we are instructed that the righteous, at the judgment day, “shall have a perfect knowledge of their enjoyment.” The enjoyment of the righteous radiates from their commitment to the gospel, “being clothed with purity, yea, even with the robe of righteousness.” (2 Nephi 9:14) When we are enjoying life in this way, we are true disciples of the Savior.

Chieko N. Okazaki, in her book, Aloha!, describes her husband Ed as a person who wore the robe of righteousness with enjoyment:
My husband, Ed, was this kind of Christian, an every-day Christian, even an every-minute Christian. Sometimes we think that the life of a disciple is hard, but if you knew Ed, you would know that it is a joyous, rewarding life. Terms like hard or easy really didn't make sense to Ed. When he was doing what Christ did—helping and serving other people—his life was filled to overflowing with joy and love. Nothing made him happier than finding something to do for someone else...
Ed's companion was Christ. All of our life together, when we were discussing a situation or a problem, Ed would ask, "What would Christ do?" That made many decisions very simple and very clear, though sometimes they were not very easy to carry out.
…The apostle Paul has a lovely statement that I think applies to Ed: "For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ." (1 Corinthians 2:16.) I think Ed had the mind of Christ.
…Because Ed's identity was that of a disciple, he was free from many problems and vexations that are troublesome for other people. He never wasted any energy being angry at someone who had mistreated him. He never allowed his attention to be drawn into enmity or bitterness, even when bitter things happened. He never hated the Germans whose artillery fire wounded him and almost killed him. He never resented the people who mistrusted Japanese-American soldiers during World War II. I was always so proud of Ed. He reproached evil by his very being, because he was so good.
Because Ed had a disciple's identity, he did not need to make distinctions among people. In that way, I think he was like Mother Teresa. He saw the face of Christ in every human face.
May we each, at this special time of year seek the peace that comes with commitment to the Gospel, and may we each seek our own relationship with the Lord as his disciple by serving and loving those around us. May we find the strength to do so not only at Christmastime, but throughout the coming year, and “enjoy to the end.”

I wish you who come to these pages (and certainly the rest of the world)  the merriest of Christmases and the happiest of New Years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. While I appreciate comments on my posts, I reserve the right to delete any comment that does not promote positive discussion of the topic at hand.